The shop has seen a lot of gear come in and out the door through the years. Some seem to not want to go back out the door. We have amassed a number of random products whether its used, new & discontinued or vintage, and while the fishing is slow we decided to move through some of this. Check us out on Ebay to see what we have on offer. Happy bidding!
The Gunpowder is at 245 cfs, clear and 43 degrees F.
Update 11 am 12/28. Gauge at Falls road is at 440 cfs and rising, with more rain forecast through this afternoon. Remember level over 300 cfs are unsafe for wading, keep it to the banks!
The river is in good shape. Gradually the flows have came down to a more optimal level for wading and fishing. Backwater Angler Guide Bryan Donoway & I fished yesterday and found a good amount of fish rising for blue winged olives and midges along the banks, in the back eddies and softer water. Nymphing was especially productive with small pheasent tails, miracle nymphs, hares ear and zebra midges accounting for a plenty of feisty brown trout. With wetter weather around the corner, streamer fishing should be the ticket once again.
It’s that time for renewing licenses, we’ll be here normal hours including New Years Eve, stop by for some friendly advice and some flies that will help get you some fish in the net.
We also have a good amount of Filson Cold Weather Hats, Tin Packer Hats & Insulated TIn Cloth hats that we are selling at 35% off. Pick one up while stocks last!
Christmas is just around the corner, the fishing has been thrown out of sorts with the customary weekly downpour, so here’s a little list of gift ideas if you are unsure what to buy.
- Gift Certificate. This makes it easy for you, it can never be the wrong shape, size or color. Call us at the shop and we can email you a gift certificate in no time. If one already fly fishes, it can be used for more gear, if it is something one is interested in pursuing it can go towards lessons or guide trips.
- Fly Selection: A box made with flies selected for a specific stream like the Gunpowder or region such as the Florida Keys. We are happy to put together a fly selection for you with seasonal favorites suited for wherever one may fish.
- Filson clothing: Whether it’s a hat, a duffel or a outerwear garment. Filson has been at the forefront in outdoors clothing since 1897. Treat yourself or a loved one to the best
- Rods: We carry a wide range of rods from five of the leading manufacturers in the industry, Scott from Colorado, Echo & G Loomis from Washington State, St Croix from Wisconsin and Winston from Montana.
- Fishpond: From packs, vests, nets and accessories. Exceptional products, great value and a industry leader in environmentally friendly products.
- Patagonia Foot Tractors. If one enjoys fishing the larger trout rivers of Western Maryland or central Pennsylvania, this wading boot is perfect for those tricky wading situations on large slippery boulders. On sale from 279 to 200.
- Floatant: Be ready for the spring time with an essential stream-side accessory. Tiemco Dry Shake, Tiemco Dry Magic, Loon Aquel, Loon Top Ride, Loon Lochsa.
- Layering: Patagonia Tough Puff Hoody, Tough Puff Shirt, Snap-Dry Hoody or R1 Hoody.
- Rain Jacket: Patagonia SST and Minimalist Jacket. Don’t let the rainiest year on record in Baltimore stop one from being outside.
- Books: Signed copies of fine wintertime reads written by local author and bamboo rod maker Jerry Kustich.
The shop will be open all week, from the 17th through the 21st from 10-5,
The 22nd and 23rd from 10 till 4.
The shop will be closed on December 24,25,26.
The shop will be open the 27th-30th and on News Years Eve.
We have a super range of inventory just in time for the holidays! If you need to do some Christmas shopping for friends, family, or just yourself! We’re here ready to assist.
The river is at 182 cfs and 44 degrees F.
Water levels have gradually fallen to a better level for fly fishing. Streamers are working well, with the recent high water the trout are spread out. There are plenty of tiny white midges hatching, especially in the deeper boulder pools, on warmer afternoons you can find risers in the softer water sipping emergers. If wading watch out for redds as there are lots of them throughout the catch and release section and please don’t fish for the trout on them.
Anyone fishing Masemore lately lost a rod tip for a Winston? We have it safely behind the counter.
Our good friend Jerry Kustich will be at Backwater Angler on Saturday, December 8th from 11 AM till 1 PM for a book signing. Jerry will also bring some of the wonderfully light, powerful and smooth Sweetgrass Bamboo rods for folks to cast and admire.
Need to fine tune your streamer fishing techniques? On Sunday December the 2nd please join us for one of two streamer clinic’s with a Backwater Angler Guide on the Gunpowder river. This course will cover gear selection (suitable rods), leader selection and construction, knots, fly selection and their imitations, casting mechanics (casting heavy lines/flies, shooting line) and multiple presentation scenarios and techniques (streamer retrieves and dead drifting). First class is held from 10-1 and a second one from 2-5. Cost is $150 per person. A Maryland non-tidal fishing license and trout stamp is required and may be purchased at the shop with check or cash the day of the clinic. Class size is limited to 3 and pre-registration is required. Please give us a call at 410-357-9557 to pre-register.
Need a break from the home front this week? We have some great sales this week in store only. We will be open this Tuesday and Wednesday 10 – 2 both days and will be closed Thursday for Thanksgiving. Open again normal hours on Friday.
The river is at 290 cfs and gradually dropping. Water temperature is at 52 degrees F and the water is clear.
The river is quite full and many fish are spawning so please take care when wading. Since the air and water temperature have dropped recently the fishing has been quite slow. However now the river is coming down to a better level for fishing and we’re experiencing some milder, still days – this fishing should be easier this week.
Enjoy the turkey dinner & hope you get out to catch a trout or 2!
With the holidays right around the corner we have a great selection of St. Croix rods from Park Falls, Wisconsin!
These include the new Mojo Trout series, these rods are silky smooth casting suited for beginners and intermediate anglers alike. Featuring high modulus SCIII graphite these are superb rods which, for $180 – $210, don’t break the bank.
The Imperial USA rods set the standard for a premium US built rod; lightweight, fast action rods these are extremely versatile and performs like a rod you would pay twice the money for. The Bank Robber streamer rods are designed by Kelly Galloup on the Madison River, he knows what goes into a great rod and with the state of the art technology provided by St. Croix, this is the result. The Legend Elite is their hallmark rod which has the look and feel of a rod that is worthy of a brand which has been at the forefront of rod building for 70 years.
Whether you’re new or seasoned in fly fishing we have you covered, stop on by and give them a go! We have received the following in store.
- NEW Mojo Trout 9′ 4 wt $200
- NEW Mojo Trout 9′ 5 wt $200
- Imperial USA 9′ 4 wt $300
- Imperial USA 9′ 5 wt $300
- Bank Robber 9′ 5 wt $460
- Legend Elite 9′ 5 wt $460
NOTE: We still have a space available in our upcoming streamer clinic this Saturday at 11 AM. Please call the shop to pre-register.
Need to fine tune your streamer fishing techniques? On Saturday November the 17th please join us for a streamer clinic with a Backwater Angler Guide on the Gunpowder river. This course will cover gear selection (suitable rods), leader selection and construction, knots, fly selection and their imitations, casting mechanics (casting heavy lines/flies, shooting line) and multiple presentation scenarios and techniques (streamer retrieves and dead drifting). Class is held from 11:00 – 2:00pm. Cost is $150 per person. A Maryland non-tidal fishing license and trout stamp is required and may be purchased at the shop with check or cash the day of the clinic. Class size is limited to 3 and pre-registration is required. Please give us a call at 410-357-9557 to pre-register.